Variety is the spice of life! This week I am adding more variety to my lunch! The other day I was watching Anthony Bourdain and he was in his wife's native country of Sardinia. There was one dish which inspired my lunches for the week. I saw Bourdain's aunt-in-law making this delightful mushroom noodle pasta with fresh ricotta cheese. The light bulb went off and I decided to try my hand at my own ricotta sauce that met the needs of my strict diet.
This recipe hopefully comes off as creative. It's gluten free! I used SamMills 100% Corn Pasta: Pasta d'oro. This is a pretty solid substitute for typical wheat pasta. There is no weird taste when the pasta is fully cooked. When it's not cooked, it definitely does taste like corn. I got my sauce supplies from WholeFoods: fresh ricotta, store made pesto (normally I would make my own), frozen asparagus, and fresh mozzarella.
Gluten Free Pasta with an Asparagus Ricotta Pesto Sauce
- 1 tbs pesto
- 1 1/2 tbs fresh ricotta
- 3/4 cup gluten free pasta
- 1/2 a small mozzarella ball diced
- 3/4 cup frozen cut asparagus
1. Boil salted water. Once the water is boiling add the pasta and cook until it's soft.
2. In a pan, add some oil. Once heated add the asparagus and cook until it is slightly brown
3. After the asparagus is cooked, add the pesto and then ricotta. Mix thoroughly. Add a small amount of the pasta water to make a thinner sauce.
4. When the pasta cooked, drain it and add it the sauce. Mix throughly.
5. Serve immediately. Garnish with your favorite herbs and the mozzarella cheese.
* Make sure you cook the pasta throughly. It takes a bit longer for the corn pasta to cook than the normal wheat pasta.
Ease: Incredibly easy and quick to make
Ayurvedic Friendly: YES! The fresh cheeses are totally okay to eat.
Yummy: Yes it is. It's a nice neutral clean flavor.